Location is excellent, especially for visiting the waterfront and markets.
Both east and west facing rooms, city (great sunrises) waterfront (sunset)
The staff are very helpful and welcoming
Sufficient sockets near the desk and both sides of the bed.
Wifi connection was good and reliable throughout the day and night.
There is no separate shower, only a long bath with showers.
However a non-slip mat is provided.
Kota Kinabalu has a good range of accommodation options, catering for travellers with different budgets. You can choose from a whole home/condo, to a b&b room, or hotels ranging from budget to luxury accommodation.
You can pick up a good deal on accommodation at the moment, as there are no international visitors due to Covid-19 related border closures. So when we found a great offer for the Kota Kinabalu Hyatt Regency, with breakfast included, we grabbed it.
Kota Kinabalu Hyatt Regency
Jalan Datuk Salleh Sulong,
88991 Kota Kinabalu,
Phone: +6088 22 1 234
The Hyatt Regency Kinabalu, is located on the waterfront, close to the Todak Waterfront Seafood market. Even if you don’t have a sea view from your room, the staircase glass windows that look over the fishing boat moorings, a great place to watch the early morning departures. This is also a great spot to catch the spectacular sunsets over the South China Sea. The sunrises on the city side of the hotel are also worth catching from about 6am.
Entry has a wooden floor, main room is carpeted. The room is well maintained and clean.
- The wardrobe is spacious with sufficient hangers
- Bathrobes and room slippers
- Ironing board, iron & torch
- Socket is in the wardrobe
- Laundry basket and laundry bag
- Coffee/tea making
- Disposable paper cups
- Bottled water
- Power Supply, well positioned and sufficient points
- sockets and USB connections, both sides of the king sized bed.
- multi-way sockets and LAN connection beside desk
- Free Wifi for multiple devices
We liked the provision of night lights under the bedside tables.
The bathroom was very clean. The big positives were a well positioned makeup mirror and a separate toilet. The only minus point was that the showers (rain and wall shower units) were in the bath. The provision of a non-slip mat was good, but a personal preference for a walk-in shower made this a minus.
- Sanitising alcohol wipes
- Bath, no separate shower unit
- In bath rain shower and wall shower unit
- Toiletries soap shampoo etc
- Separate toilet with door
- Makeup mirror
- in basin drawer, plug socket is in the drawer
We didn’t use any of these facilities, but they are available. Concierge service is available at the Front Desk. They were very helpful in directing us to a travel & tour provider for our day trip to the highlands.
- Outdoor Swimming pool
- Fitness centre
- Business Centre & Meeting facilities
- Free Parking
- Wheelchair accessible
Security and Check-in
- Digital check-in by App is available
- download for Android & iPhone
- most useful if you are a member and stay regularly in Hyatt Group hotels
- Unmarked digital Keys
- In-room safe
Social Distancing is practiced throughout the public areas of the hotel, with lines and crosses to show distances and seating availability. On arrival you must use the App to scan the MySejahtera QR code, but this is not required on subsequent entry. Temperature checks are required for every entry.
All hotel information normally found in the drawers, has been removed. In their place, when you log in as a guest, you can download all the necessary information, including Room service menu etc as .pdf copies.
The on-going pandemic situation has necessitated changes in the food offerings in Hyatt Regency Kinabalu.
The hotel has six food outlets, although operations have been temporarily suspended at three of these. Therefore Tanjung Ria Kitchen is your main option, open for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.
In line with with the national Covid-19 SOP, full buffet service is not available.
Beverages, bakery items and entrees etc can be selected from the menu, but for your main meal, you need to go to the buffet area and your selection will be served for you. Some compromises have been necessary, eg yoghurt is offered in pre-packed tubs, rather than, we were told, the usual home-made offering. However, the coffee is excellent and you may have as many refills as you like.
- Sanitising alcohol wipes are provided with your napkin and cutlery.
- Breakfast was included in our room rate, but it can be purchased separately.
- Jom Lunch MYR70
- Jom Dinner MYR90
Room Service is available. (menu is available for download)
Things to do nearby
The hotel overlooks the waterfront walk and is a great place to watch the fishing boats leave and return. The waterfront walk is the entry to the Todak Waterfront seafood market, open in the evening from 4pm.
Other places within a short walk from the hotel are:
- The Central market district with the Filipino Market,
- pick up Handicrafts and souvenirs
- The main central market (Pasar Besar) with a wide range of food and groceries
- Open from early morning, closes 6pm
- The night market (pasar malam),
- fresh fish, chicken and various other foodstuff.
- You can also have your purchases cooked at the hawker food section
- Jesselton Point is about 10 minutes walk to the north,
- the pier is where you can catch ferries to various locations.
- Signal Hill, visible from the City view rooms, is a great lookout spot over the city and waterfront.
- Four streets east of the hotel to the base of the hill, then a wooden walkway up the hill.
- A good place to enjoy sunset
- Gaya Street Sunday Market
- a 5-10 minute walk from the Kota Kinabalu Hyatt Regency
- Only on Sunday morning until 11am.
- Fresh produce from the producers
- Mixed stalls along the closed off main road.
For more information on these things to do, our story is coming soon.