Good news for travellers regularly flying out of US airports on Singapore Airlines. The recently announced partnership between Singapore Airlines (SIA) and the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) offers travellers expedited security screening procedures under the TSA Pre?® (TSA Precheck) programme. This makes Singapore Airlines the first Asian carrier to offer the facility.
TSA Pre?® – what is it?
The TSA Pre?® is designed to enable low-risk, known travellers to enjoy the programme’s benefits. One big benefit is the reduced checkpoint waiting times. A separate lane for departure screening allows passengers to avoid removing jackets, belts, laptops, liquids and shoes.
Who is eligible?
Enrollment in the TSA Pre?® scheme is necessary before you can use the facility.
Enrollment is available for :[lists style=”tag” color=”#1e73be”]
- US citizens and lawful permanent residents
- Singapore citizens are eligible to apply for the Global Entry Programme
- Citizens from Colombia, Germany, Netherlands, Panama, South Korea, UK, and Mexican nationals.
- Other non-US citizens covered through various Customs Border Protection (CBP) trusted traveller programmes, including Global Entry, NEXUS and SENTRI should inquire about their eligibility.
How does it work?
Successful applicants of the TSA Pre?® programme or other CBP trusted traveller programmes will receive a Known Traveller Number (KTN).[lists style=”tag” color=”#1e73be”]
- Provide this number to the airline during booking or check-in.
- Upon recognition, the TSA Pre?® logo will be printed on the boarding pass, indicating that the KTN has been captured in the booking record.
- The KTN can be shared across SIA’s various check-in or booking channels. This includes its call agents and online reservations system.
- It can also be provided during website check-in on singaporeair.com or the SingaporeAir mobile app, or during check-in at the airport counter.
- Children aged 12 and under travelling with passengers who have a valid KTN may also enjoy the benefits of TSA Pre?®.
As a partner airline under the TSA Pre?® programme, SIA can offer customers travelling to and from the US the option of a Self-Printed Boarding Pass (SPBP) and/or Mobile Boarding Pass (MBP).
With this facility, passengers without check-in bags can check in online and proceed directly to the gate at the airport. Implementation is expected in coming months.