Singapore App Challenge 2016
Did you take part in the 2015 Challenge? Well, the Singapore Airlines App Challenge is back for a second time in October 2016 challenging digital application developers to use their creativity to respond to real-world business challenges.
The theme for the Challenge is ‘SingaporeAir, A Great Way To Fly’ as the participants are challenged to develop an App for the modern traveller.
What do you get to work with?
the Airline will make available
to participants its application programming interfaces (APIs) related to flight
schedule, flight status and check-in for the first time. With these APIs, participating
teams can stretch their creativity when developing their prototype apps.
Who can take part?
- The field has been widened this year to include both students and members of the general public.
- The Challenge will be fought in teams with a maximum of four members.
- Mentorship will be available from SIA representatives and industry partners including Microsoft, IBM and Amadeus. This will help participants understand the airline industry and ensure they are on track as working prototypes are developed.
The Challenge Details
- Singapore Airlines (SIA) will conduct roadshows with local tertiary institutions in the run-up to the competition to generate interest and participation. These will take place between 1st September and 5th October.
- The competition will run from 1st October, beginning with a workshop at SIA Sports Club, to introduce the business challenges. Industry partners will share development tools with the participants during the workshop.
Presentations and judging
- Teams will present their completed prototypes for judging at The Hangar @ NUS Enterprise on 8th October 2016.
- The criteria for judging are based on the presentation of the prototype, the technical competency of the innovation development, the user experience and resulting business value.
- Prizes offered are very attractive, especially in the student category, encouraging participants to further develop their skills as professionals.
- The Grand Prize for the Student category is Economy Class tickets for all team members to Silicon Valley, US, including accommodation and transfers. There they will visit some of the world’s best known technology companies and on their return have the opportunity to take up internships with Singapore Airlines. Subsidiary winners win KrisFlyer Miles.
- Open Team Grand Prize winners will take home tickets to any SIA destination and cash, while subsidiary winners receive cash prizes.
- Tech Giant RedHat OpenShift Awards will go to one team in each category.
Other partners and sponsors for the Challenge include TCS, SITA, Salesforce, RedHat, NUS Enterprise, NUS Institute of Systems Science, Deloitte, Cisco, StarHub, Singtel, Expedia and PayPal.
….. We are very excited to host the SIA App Challenge for a second time. The response for the inaugural competition was extremely heartening, with close to 180 tertiary students participating. This proves that there is keen interest among our young minds to make use of digital technology to further enhance the business development of industries such as aviation. We also hope that many, not just students, will be inspired to pursue careers in the aviation industry through this competition. Singapore Airlines Senior Vice President Information Technology, George Wang
Jessica Tan, Managing Director of Microsoft Singapore, a key sponsor for this year’s App Challenge expressed her support for the Challenge when she commented:
…. At Microsoft, our mission is to empower every person and every organisation on the planet to achieve more. We believe in what people make possible, and we believe that it is in the hands of young innovators that these possibilities become real. Integral to this is the partnership of forward-looking enterprises to create their own digital tools, technologies, and ecosystems on the digital platforms and tools that Microsoft built. We are excited to partner with Singapore Airlines for the SIA App Challenge 2016, and look forward to seeing how this year’s participants reimagine the modern travel experience enriched through technology. Jessica Tan
Full competition details, rules and regulations & sign up forms and other information is available on the dedicated link on the Singapore Airlines website.
Registration is open from 18th July until 19th September 2016.