Following in the footsteps of many councils around the world, the Langkawi Municipal Council City of Tourism will introduce a Langkawi Tourism Promotion Levy on all hotel rooms from 1st July 2016.
Visitors will pay the levy on a sliding scale based on the class of accommodation:
- one and two-star hotels will be charged MYR 1 per room per night
- three and four-star accommodation will pay MYR 3
- for five-star accommodation, the charge is MYR 5
- six-star accommodation, MYR 7 and
- seven-star accommodation, MYR 9
In announcing the introduction of the levy, Kedah Tourism Committee chairman Mohd Rawi Abdul Hamid noted that similar levies are paid by hotel visitors in Melaka, Penang and Kuala Lumpur, and that the levy would be used to promote the tourism industry in Langkawi.