There was much excitement at Kuala Lumpur’s klia2 on the 17th July 2018 as AirAsia staff and guests awaited the results of 2018 Skytrax World Airline Awards. Their patience was rewarded as AirAsia has been named the World’s Best Low-Cost Airline for the tenth consecutive year.
The Skytrax Awards are the global benchmark of airline excellence, acclaimed the ‘Oscars of the Aviation Industry’. Winners are voted by over 20.36 million customers of over 105 nationalities, surveyed worldwide. They measure standards across 49 key performance indicators of an airline’s frontline products and services.
The ceremony was held at The Langham, London, with the award accepted by Group CEO of AirAsia X Kamarudin Meranun. He was accompanied by five AirAsia’s long-serving Allstars from across the region.
The honoured Allstars :
- Acting Head of Ground Operations Ahmad Bin Ismail from Malaysia (17 years of service),
- Assistant Cabin Crew Manager Robert Anthony Gutierrez from the Philippines (7 years of service),
- Head of ICT Pipat Khunprakan from Thailand, AirAsia’s first staff in Thailand (15 years of service)
- Assistant Flight Dispatch Manager Koji Kaneko who dispatched AirAsia Japan’s very first flight (4 years of service)
- Bo Lingam, who joined AirAsia in 2001 as a Ground Operations Manager accepted the Asia’s Best Low-Cost Airline award. He’s now the airline’s Deputy Group CEO (Airline Business)
Skytrax awards celebration – Win tickets
The win was celebrated across the group in AirAsia offices in Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, Jakarta, Manila, Bangalore and Nagoya, with a special live interactive show broadcast on AirAsia’s Facebook page.
There will be three ways for travellers to celebrate
- With confirmation of the win, AirAsia takes the celebration to major hub airports,
- KL International Airport 2 (klia2),
- Soekarno-Hatta International Airport in Jakarta
- Don Mueang International Airport in Bangkok
From 17 – 22 July, check out their boarding pass-enabled photobooths for a chance of winning tickets to your dream AirAsia destination.
2. In addition, AirAsia is offering special low fares from 23rd – 29th July on www.airasia.com and the AirAsia mobile app.
3. You also stand a chance to win one year of free flights* by participating in the #WeAreAllChampions social media contest.
- Details of entry are on AirAsia Instagram (instagram.com/airasia) and Facebook (facebook.com/AirAsia).
*Terms & conditions apply
So who won what?
Kamarudin Meranun, who’s Executive Chairman of AirAsia Group Bhd as well as an AirAsia co-founder, was cheered on in Kuala Lumpur by his fellow co-founders, including Tony Fernandes, best known as the ‘face’ of AirAsia.
The Awards 2018
- World’s Best Low-Cost Airlines 2018
- Best Low-Cost Airlines in Asia 2018
AirAsia X –
- World’s Best Low-Cost Airline Premium Cabin for the sixth consecutive year.
- Third placing as World’s Best Long Haul Low-Cost Airlines 2018
…. I’m honored to celebrate our record-breaking tenth win today with our Allstars who have been with us on this journey since the early days. This moment feels surreal. I remember the ecstatic feeling of being named the world’s best low-cost airline for the very first time ten years ago. I would have never imagined we would remain the world’s best for a decade. Thank you for your tremendous love and support. We will continue to champion low fares and hopefully transform many more lives in the process. Kamarudin Meranun