Despite concerns from some Melbourne – Kuala Lumpur travellers, AirAsia will move from Melbourne’s Tullamarine to Avalon Airport this December. The twice daily Avalon service starts on 5th December 2018, just before the end of year holidays.
AirAsia’s long-haul affiliate, AirAsia X, operates the services departing Kuala Lumpur’s klia2 mid morning and evening and offers convenient connections from Malaysia to Asean destinations. At the Australian end, Avalon is close to the start of the world famous Great Ocean Road, one of the world’s great drives.
Avalon service – promo fares both ways
AirAsia X is offering special promotional all-in, one-way fares to Melbourne (Avalon Airport) from MYR 199 and AUD 99 Avalon – Kuala Lumpur. Place bookings on airasia.com by 15th July, for travel between 5th December 2018 and 13th August 2019.
*Promotional all-in-fares quoted are for one-way travel only inclusive of taxes. Subject to government and regulatory approvals. Terms and conditions apply.
Important to know
- With the change of airport, the destination codes for Melbourne, Australia from Tullamarine Airport (Airport code MEL) to Avalon Airport (Airport code AVV) have been redesignated for flights departing 5th December onwards.
- Flight D7 218 from Kuala Lumpur will be the first service into Avalon Airport, scheduled to arrive Melbourne on the morning of 5th December 2018. This flight leaves Kuala Lumpur at 10.25pm on 4th December 2018.
- Passengers booked to travel with AirAsia X to/from Melbourne from 5th December onwards will be contacted directly by the airline. Should a change of travel plans be necessary, a number of options are available. These will be advised direct to passengers by AirAsia X. Passengers affected can also contact AirAsia via support.airasia.com.
Why move to Avalon?
Apart from the earlier announced cost saving benefits, travellers should also appreciate
- Access to some of Australia’s top tourism draw-cards, including
- The Great Ocean Road, with many sweeping views and the home of the Twelve Apostles and Cape Otway.
- Bells Beach, home of the big surfing championships each Easter long weekend, is near Torquay at the eastern end of the Ocean Road.
- Convenient and affordable transport options
- Access to the airport is currently only accessible by road from downtown Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat and surrounding areas. Avalon Airport is 50 minutes by road to the Melbourne CBD.
- The Lara Railway Station is about 7km from the airport on the Geelong line. We hope this commuter service will be upgraded and a shuttle connection will be available soon.
- Access to the eastern side of Port Phillip Bay (Phillip Island, Fort Nepean and some great beaches) is easiest using the Queenscliff Sorrento Ferry. The Queenscliff Car ferry caters to both foot and vehicular traffic.
- Access to Schools and unversities
- The city is home to Geelong Grammar School and two of Deakin University’s campuses, Waterfront and Waurn Ponds.
- Access for farmers, food producers and manufacturers
- The move also increases the cargo capacity, as AirAsia X carries a large volume of freight on each flight.
At almost 9000sqm, the new airport will boast state of the art facilities including the latest innovations in customs equipment and processes. Travellers will also have a wide choice of Duty Free shopping and food and beverage options.
….. The new international terminal construction is well underway. ….. We can’t wait to welcome AirAsia as our first international tenant as well as guests from Malaysia and around the world to our new international terminal. Avalon Airport CEO Justin Giddings
Flight schedule Kuala Lumpur, (KUL) – Avalon, (AVV) from 5th Dec 2018
|Flight No||From||To||Departure Time||Arrival Time||Days of service|
|D7 216||KUL||AVV||10:35 (10.35am)||21:30 (9.30pm)||Daily|
|D7 217||AVV||KUL||22:45 (10.45pm)||04:00 (4am)||Daily|
|D7 218||KUL||AVV||22:25 (10.25pm)||09:20 (9.20am)||Daily|
|D7 219||AVV||KUL||10:35 (10.35am)||15.50 (3.50pm)||Daily|
Note: All times listed are local, flights are subject to government and regulatory approval.