What is Qantas Cash?
Qantas Cash is a pre-paid multi-currency payment facility built into the Qantas Frequent Flyer Card. Since the card was launched in 2013, it has been used in 177 countries for 120 currencies.
Although you can only actually load 11 currencies onto the facility, it can be used wherever MasterCard is accepted which increases the reach.
Why is it useful?
- You can carry your funds in one card, no need for bulky travellers cheques (does anyone still use these?) or wads of cash in different currencies.
- You can access your cash in the local currency, from ATMs around the world.
- Locking in exchange rates before you travel makes budgeting easier
- The card has no load, inactivity or monthly fees.
- You can earn Qantas Points for what you spend, offering you a quick way to increase your points balance.
What are the benefits?
The card features
You can earn
- one Qantas Point for every $1 of eligible spend in foreign currency
- one Qantas Point for every $2 of eligible spend in Australian dollars
In addition, there are
- No load fees
- No currency conversation fees when you make a purchase or ATM withdrawal with funds in the local currency on your card
- No monthly account fees on active accounts
- No Australian domestic ATM fees charged by Qantas
- Lock in exchange rates on up to 11 currencies
and the card is Q-chip enabled for Smarter, Faster Check-in at domestic and trans-Tasman airports
How do I get one?
All terms and conditions, including applicable fees, can be found on the Qantas Cash website.
Qantas Cash is currently offering up to 10,000 bonus Qantas Points when loading foreign currency by 30 June 2015 (in addition to the points earned when spending money off the Qantas Cash card).
What you need to do:
- Minimum AU$5,000 (equivalent in foreign currency) = 10,000 bonus Qantas Points
- Minimum AU$2,500 (equivalent in foreign currency) = 5,000 bonus Qantas Points
- Minimum AU$1,000 (equivalent in foreign currency) = 2,000 bonus Qantas Points
Members need to register for the promotion. Review full terms and conditions before loading currency in order to be eligible for the bonus points offer.